Tuesday 15 July 2008

Livin the good life in SA!

Well, so far I can't complain in the least about SA although I'm sure I'll be able to find something. The area that I am staying in is painfully white and affluent, the shops and activites are great and I'm not short of company or of things to do- what more could I possibely need?!

The volunteer house is set up so that folks come and go on a regular basis so sometimes its a bit difficult trying to decide who is who and what project they are doing. Aviva has numerous projects on the go, all over South Africa so sometimes folks only stay here for 1 or 2 nights before moving on to go to work. The main volunteers that I am working with on the same project are all getting ready to finish up in about a week, and I will miss them very much but there are more coming in a few days so the house will remain busy!

Work- hmmm.... Well suffice it to say that the woman who runs Home of Hope (Elanor) and I have not exactly gelled. We will definitely not be bosom buddies for the rest of our lives, there is no doubt about that! However, she is a committed and passionate woman who has dedicated all of her life to caring for kids who have been neglected and I have to respect and admire her for that. She and Richard, her husband run the home from their own house and have people coming and going at all hours of the day and night. They also have their own kids that they are bringing up and they have adopted 3 kids from the home also. So they are pretty busy!

The kids are great. All under 2. They all have different histories but all have been neglected abused or abandoned for different reasons. We currently have 4 HIV babies, one preemie, and one who is on a tracheotomy and needs very special care. One of my favourites, a little girl who is approximately 9 months old, was raped by her father. She now screams the place down when you lie her down to change her or bath her.

The routine is pretty crazy when you have 12 to look after. Dressing and breakfast in the morning, then some activities, then lunch and naps ( yeah right!) then supper and baths and bed by 6pm. 12 hour days, but they are so busy that they don't feel long at all!

Spare time- well, I have a skydive booked for Saturday, I want to go sandboarding, I'm dying to try kitesurfing and I'm on the hunt for a bike- again- so that I can cycle the coast line. It's perfect as its so scenic and not at all strenuous. We also just hang out, go out for dinner and drink a lot of wine- hey its South Africa, it would be rude not to! Oh, and theres also a great gym about 10 minutes walk from here so I joined on the spot. They have great facilities and an indoor heated swimming pool- result!

Although there is loads to see and do and I'm really happy, I had a strange experience yesterday. We went on the cultural tour, which is part of the package that Aviva offer. Its a lot to do with the apartheid years and the terrible stuff that black and coloured people (its OK to say that here!) had to go through. All very interesting but the best part was the visit to the township. Suddenly I was back in the Africa that I know and love- where folks stop and say hello, where there is an energy and vibrancy that I recognise, where its busy and crazy and fun. Table View where we stay is beautiful and luxurious but frankly you could be anywhere. So it was nice to have a glimpse of real Africa again and I'm going next week to stay for a couple of nights in the township to soak up the atmosphere.

Anyway thats all for now. I have more that I want to say on some stuff but my fingers are getting really sore and this entry is long enough. Also its freezing in this corner and I want to get back to the lovely roaring fire that we have tonight (did I mention that its freezing and raining and blowing a gale and snowing! I feel right at home!!!)

No comments: