Sunday 20 July 2008

I survived!




For those of you who have possibly been on another planet for the last few days and dont know, I did a sky dive yesterday. It has to be the coolest and most exciting thing I've ever done, and I'm off to do it again in a week's time ( when we booked it I was like "Errrmmm, thats still a tandem dive right? Even though its our second jump?" The guy was like "No, we chuck you out of a plane from 9000 feet on your own after 20 mins instruction and one jump." Cheeky bastard....)




Anyway the dive- when we got to the jump height I began to think that maybe I wouldn't be able to do it after all- 9000 feet is incredibly high, in case no one realises! We also got a fantastic day for it, very clear and sunny so we could see the ground clearly from that height and were able to start contemplating it in death terms! There is a rush of high speed wind when they roll up the side of the plane (these things are tiny, 6 of us were cramped in it- the skydiving was probably safer!) then I had to watch Steph do the jump first. Her last words as she dived were "Holy fucking shiiitttttt....." then she was gone. Then it was my turn. "Sit on the side of the plane, swing your legs back, put your head against my shoulder. One two three- jump!" 40 seconds of freefall at 120mph before the parachute opens then a leisurely descent admiring Table Mountain and the West coast of the Cape. Beautiful. Can't wait for the second time. Oh and I also have it all on DVD to prove that I did it!




Mama Africa's last night for dinner to celebrate- great food and fabulous African live band which had the place jumping. Had a fab night and didn't get home till 10 am this morning. Ach well, you only live once right!




Busy week ahead- working Mon and Tues (by the by its amazing that at the end of 3 12 hour shifts you can think "I never want to see another fucking kid or hear another Barney song for the rest of my life." Then by the end of your 2 days off you are thinking "I wonder how Sisi's cold is? I wonder if Klunks is walking yet? I wonder how Adrian is doing?" And you are actually looking forward to seeing them. Crazy but true!) I've attempted to add a photo of Adrian smiling away and hopefully its worked. This kid came to us 2 weeks ag. He's 17 months old, HIV positive, mum is dead and he has been living on the street with dad who is an alcoholic. He has been woefully neglected and left very much to his own devices, terrible chronic excema and some behavioural problems. Also one of the sweetest kids I've ever known.




Then on Wednesday we are off to stay the night at Vicky B and B- the smallet hotel in the world! Also hope this image has successfully been added! Its in the black township and the rooms are small but very beautiful. Vicky started it about 10 years ago in the hope that white tourists would come and stay there and they do!
Thursday off to visit Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for political reasons for so long. (By the way his 90th birthday here was such a big deal- every time you go to the ATM it says on the screen Happy Birthday Madiba- his tribal name and a mark of respect. Go South Africa!) Then Friday we are going paragliding- I've already done it but its fun to do it again. Then working the weekend and that will be another week gone by. 3 weeks in already- I cant believe it!
As always I have more to say and add but enough is enough! I still have email to do so I must rest. I've had no sleep ya know- feel sorry for me........?!
Till next time!

No comments: