Monday 17 November 2008

Beatocello

While I was in Siem Reap I noticed that the local childrens hospital, Jayavarman VII (named after one of the great Angkorian kings!) was advertising that they desperately needed blood. I can do that, I thought, and off I trundled. Turns out that Cambodia and particularly SR are having an enormous crisis of dengue fever. This is always present in SE Asia and other parts of the world but has risen its ugly head extensively once more. The kids need blood transfusions to assist in their recovery and without they would die, hence the need for donations. The staff at the hospital were delightful and wanted to chat after they got over their shyness at the "farang"or foreigner coming into their hospital. They talked a great deal about Dr Beat Richter who is the founder of the hospital. It has branches in Phnom Penh and other parts of Cambodia. Anyway they told me that he perfoms Bach on his cello every Saturday night as a way of raising funds and awareness for the hospital, and I promised to attend the one in 2 days time. By the way they look after their givers very well- I was given tea, water, crackers, a T shirt and some iron tablets to ensure that I didn't suffer as a result of giving blood.

So I attended the concert and was immediately captivated by Dr Beatocello (Dr Beat playing the cello!) This man has fundraised and worked for the hospital since before the Khmer Rouge days. Even now he tirelessly works to raise funds for the children that he treats every day. The government give 3% of the funds and the rest has to come from private donations, like the tourists that come to his concerts. By the way his cello playing wasn't bad either. This man has a spirit and a humour and a sense of compassion like no other that I have ever come across. With his work, children in Cambodia can be treated for free. Without it 5 million children in Cambodia would die every year- their parents cannot afford to pay for expensive hospital treatment.

There is no way that I can describe the emotions that raged through me while listening to this man as he humbly explained why the hospital need money. If he was to go back to Switzerland where he comes from, he would be able to make a fortune, yet he stays in Cambodia being paid a fragment of what he is worth and working long days, 7 days a week. He does not complain- he just asks that we are aware of what is going on in poorer countries and if we can help, then please do. I felt admiration and awe at his guts and his determination, not to mention his selflessness. I felt the survivor guilt that people of richer countries often feel when faced witht he reality of life in a poorer country. And I felt guilt that I was not doing more to assist, when I am more than able to.

So I dontated blood. And I donated $20. And I felt bad that it wasn't more. The only other thing I can do is pass this info on to you, dear Constant Reader. And hope that you too will be inspired to help. In any small way that you can.

www.beatocello.com

No comments: